Printer Friendly Version
- Clear liquids, day prior to exam.
- Nothing by Mouth (NPO) after midnight the night prior to the exam.
- Patient may take regularly prescribed medications with a small sip of water.
- PREP to be taken day prior to exam. Please see details below.
- 10 oz. Magnesium Citrate at 5 pm
- 4 (5mg) Dulcolax tabs at 7 pm
- 1 full 8 oz. glass of water at 7, 8, and 9 pm
- 1 Dulcolax suppository, 1 hour prior to exam
Please Note: In some cases, the referring provider may decide that procedue prep is not necessary. Also, Water Soluble or Gastrografin enemas generally do not require a prep; ordering physician should advise the patient.
Schedule an appointment
If you would like to schedule an appointment for your patient, please contact Duke University Hospital Radiology Centralized Scheduling at (919) 684-7999.If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact the division of Gastrointestinal Radiology, Duke University Hospital, at (919) 684-7257, Monday thru Friday, 7:30am – 4:00pm.
Once Barium Enema appointment is scheduled, please print Patient Instructions and give to the patient.