2018 Appleseed Resident Teaching Award Recipients Recognized

L to R: Shree Bose (presenter), Alison Vasan, MD, Linan Tang, MD, PhD, Holly Nichols, MD, Brendan Cline, MD, Robert Heider, MD.

The Appleseed Resident Teaching Awards were established in 2008 by the Duke School of Medicine in recognition of the best resident educators who have shown a genuine passion for mentoring the next generation of physicians. The awards are voted on annually by the second-year medical school class and fewer than ten percent of residents in the core clinical rotations of Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Neurology, and Radiology are selected. Winners receive a special Appleseed pin and a $25 gift card to a local restaurant. The 2018 awards were presented by Shree Bose Co-chair, Appleseed Awards Committee, pictured on far left.

Winners this year with some comments from students:

Alison Vasan, MD: “ For someone who had such an eclectic background (probably one of the most interesting people I’ve met in medical school, hands down), Alison was incredibly easy to talk to and connect with. She took the time to really teach and engage with students, and was not only sweet and kind,
but very knowledgeable.”

Linan Tang, MD, PhD: “It was such a pleasure to work with Dr. Tang during my radiology clerkship. He approached topics with a sense of humor and excitement that made any topic he was teaching on fun and engaging.”
Holly Nichols, MD: “Dr. Nichols always tried to make sure I got something out of observing readout with her and was really excited to answer all my questions. It was always great to learn from her.”
Brendan Cline, MD: “He went out of his way to pick an interesting case for me to present on ultrasound and talked me through the entire case including my interest in the socioeconomic factors affecting the patients’ access to care. Brendan went above and beyond in teaching me the radiology and medical aspects of the case and it was very clear he was interested in my learning and willing to discuss all parts of the case! It was such a great learning experience to work with him.”
Robert Heider, MD: “Robert was hands down the best resident I’ve worked with on the radiology rotation. He went out of his way to find interesting trauma cases and walk me through his system of reading abdominal scans. I really appreciated the time he took to make my learning experience the most productive it could be.”